Saturday, June 7, 2008

Sick and the City

Hey everyone!

Hope all is well wherever you're reading this from. My first 11 days in the Big Apple have been tremendous. For the most part, the New Yorkers I have met have themselves debunked the myths I had about big city folk. They're warm-hearted, helpful and very eager to lend a hand. Yes, they are fast-paced and somewhat impersonal, but that's only in the subway—I've become that way too. The first day I was here, I knew this was the place I belong and this is the best place for me to excel. People here know what they want and the city offers endless networks to achieve those goals—I've already met a Real Simple editorial assistant who is a former ASME intern and went to one of our rival high schools, Shawnee Mission East; a Staten Island woman named Rosemary whom I helped find her way to Union Square (where I live) and who works at another Time, Inc. publication, Essence. It's amazing how small this city is when you think about it.

Now you're probably wondering what's up with the title. Well, since I did walk by the "Sex and the City" premier the first day I got here, where I saw Kim Cattrall and Kristin Davis and also heard shouts for Cynthia Nixon, I figured it'd be best to allude to a great summer flick about America's best city. :) It was good though, even though I really didn't watch the series. Except for the fact that I was sitting next to my managing editor, which made the extremely emotional scenes and the sex scenes a little uncomfortable. Some of us are going back to see it again, though, so that we can have a fulfilling experience.

And to the play on the title: I've been battling the worst allergy season in my life and it was made worse when I arrived in New York. This means extreme sinus pressure and yellow phlegm. Yes, you get the picture. But it's clear again! Which means my immune system, loaded with like 30,000 mg of Vitamin C, kicked some major viral ass. I'm still coughing like it's the plague though. I did realize, as I left the NYU student health center the other day, that I am somewhat of a hypochondriac. The doctor was seemingly annoyed that I would be there to waste her time, but I just wanted to cover my bases!

Well, since I've briefly gone over my first week or so, I feel like that should suffice. Check out my facebook for pictures—which I have to say have been better than par since I've arrived. Maybe the city just brings out the best in me.

Love you all and thanks for tagging along! Leave comments. :) And to my family, I'll see you on the Fourth!

Chris(topher)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG......cant wait to read all you blog to us...so much fun you must be having!
amy in CO

Anonymous said...

That sounds so fun! I love that you're keeping up updated so I can live vicariously through your journey.

-Cat

Anonymous said...

I have told everyone that has asked about you (and there are LOTS that ask), that you are doing great and having the time of your life. Of course, I add that if you didn't have to come home in August, you most likely wouldn't! lol I am still excited for you and really wish I could have made it up there this summer. Alas, I am sure I will get the opportunity in the future! I will be saving this link to my "favorites" so I can check on you regularly. Keep taking the Vit C and if that cough persists, go back to the doc and annoy her some more! lol I love you!

xoxo MoM oxox :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your first week has gone well, other then the sinus thing anyway. Can't wait to see you over the 4th and hear more. Take care of yourself and we'll keep up with how things are going.
Love, UP & AR

Anonymous said...

We are very excited for you. Glad you are having a good time. Take in all you can because this is one of those chance of a life time thing that you will cherish your whole life.

Thanks for the Blog. We can't wait to read more about your experience. See you on the 4th.
Excited to hear more and see all
those pics.

Love AS & UD

Anonymous said...

How exciting is the fact that you walked past the SEx and the City premiere... I mean let's get serious! I've never watched the show, but that movie is the talk around town! Anywho, I just wanted to post a comment so you know I've been keeping up with the blog! If I happen to win the lottery in the next few months, maybe I'll make a trip up there!
See you in a month!
Tammy

Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know I"m reading your blog! SEe you in a month! :)
Tammy

Susan said...

Way to go! Enjoy the big Apple. It is great that you can spend time in New York. What a great opportunity for you. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

This is pretty cool, but I'm looking for that Facebook with your pictures. Am I missing something? I know my brain is on summer vacation and all... :) Enjoy this wonderful experience!! Lov aud

Anonymous said...

This is a test because I want to know how to enter a name rather show "anonymous" sent the message ... ok ... waiting on Entry No. 2! lol Get to writing dang it! :) love ya! Madre!

Anonymous said...

Everyday I get on my computer this is what I do:
1) Check my email
2) Check myspace
3) Check our checking account
4) See if you posted anymore blogs...
Let me just say that I am about to stop doing number 4 on a regular basis because everytime I check I am disappointed!!!!! FREAKING WRITE ANOTHER BLOG :)
Thank you, and have a good day:)
Tammy

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're having a good time and making contacts. I knew you'd like it! Good to hear that New Yorkers are helpful...now it's your turn. Debunk those myths about Kansans. Make 'em say something besides "there's no place like home" when they meet us!
-Kelly

Anonymous said...

lol @ Tammy ... Christopher, I do believe you have been "warned." Come on Mr. Journalist ... get to writing. We have to read about your adventures BEFORE you forget about them while experiencing NEW ONES! As you can see, I once again, along with my ruby red slippers, scared off another twister! :) Just 3 weeks away from sitting around family sharing your stories personally! :) Love you!