Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mes Premiers Jours

Bonjour (or Bonsoir if you're reading this at night)! I am currently trying to upload a bunch of crap and the videos aren't working! ugh...they're 88MB, which for a video isn't much, but this French WiFi cannot support the weight of a fly. Oh I am so harsh, but I am also a young American, and however you look at it (positively or negatively), my life almost revolves around the Internet.

I am actually not too hurt that my video isn't uploading. My voice sounds bad (as always with recordings), I had just travelled like 20 straight hours or something and I was distraught and frustrated. 

I arrived in France on Saturday, August 30, on-time and ready to head into the city. I needed to call a friend with a French number and didn't know how to do it (now I do). My baggage came, all 100+ lbs of it, and I lugged it around Charles de Gaulle airport not knowing exactly where I needed to go. To those of you who are coming to visit me, heed this: read the arrival directions on the monitors on your plane as you land and don't be afraid to speak English if you need help when you're in the terminal. Anyway, I was surprised to see an Hermes boutique in the bloody airport (wtf?). To make this story short, I rode the RER (the regional train from the suburbs of Paris into the central part of the city) and it was hella hot. I couldn't find my way, had to ask in broken French how to use the phone and luckily found a cell phone store and just decided to buy one on the spot. Anyway, I found my friend and spent a fantastic weekend in Paris.

The Many Moods of the Eiffel Tower:

The Eiffel Tower by day...

and the Eiffel Tower by night.
(It's blue because France has the European Union presidency).

Well ya'll, the WiFi has got the best of me, and if you know me well, you know that when I get frustrated I want to break something. So to save the life of my computer I will let you go. I am sorry about not posting so many visuals...I will see what I can do this Saturday. I plan to go try out the WiFi at the Anglophone Library here in Angers.

I had a test today, which went well, but this schedule stresses me out like none other. It's like high school, except longer. 

Merci beaucoup and "talk" to you soon,
Chris(topher)




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo ... good job son for posting 2 days in a row and NOT breaking your computer!! I totally enjoyed your update and the pictures! Are you able to e-mail the videos? (hint hint) I am really looking forward to these updates from you so find that cooperative WiFi soon! lol I am on my lunch break and will be going back to work soon. I will be calling you on Saturday before 7:00 p.m. your time! I love you and miss you and totally enjoy hearing about your adventures! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of the Eiffel Tower, I didn't realize they lit it up blue at night. That is pretty cool. Hang in there, you will get use to the internet over there. Then when you are back in the states, you will have to adjust (maybe not as much, though) : ). Lov aud

Amy Ribble said...

Awww to be in France right now! These will be memories you will have the rest of your life…so cherish this time. Paris – is it awesome or what?!?! When we were there in 2000 the Eiffel Tower was lit up in a gazillion mini lights, so now it’s in blue…well either way – it’s a stunner for sure! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm adding another comment to say Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you are having a good experience over there. It is a bummer that the internet is not the best there. Will miss you at dinner and on our shopping spree!! Lov aud